Savory Fried Plantains
Yield: 3-4 servings
Total: 15 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
4 ripe yellow plantains
Oil for pan frying, preferably grapeseed, coconut or canola oil
BoCa Flavor’s Taíno Spice
- Using a sharp knife, trim the tops and tails of the plantains, then make 3 shallow slits lengthwise, piercing only the skin along the natural ridges. Use the tip of your thumb to peel the skin off.
- Cut diagonally along the length of the plantain to make 1 inch thick slices.
- Pour enough oil into a frying pan to cover the entire bottom, creating a shallow bath to fry the plantains in on medium-high heat. Fry the slices for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Remove the golden brown plantains from the oil and drain on a paper towel.
- Transfer to a plate covered with parchment paper, then liberally sprinkle Taíno Spice as desired.